Friday, February 5, 2010

Whole Foods, Fit Employees getting bigger discounts?

Check out this article in the Seattle Times today. It covers Whole Foods new policy to give an extra 10% discount to employees who's body mass index (BMI) is less than 3o. I am not totally sure what I think about this just yet... The following questions arise: Is BMI really an accurate measure for health or fitness? It gives incentive if your BMI is below 30 but what about if you are hovering around 15 and are way too skinny? Perhaps that is when they should offer even more of a discount to encourage more eating :)

Now that I think about it I kinda like the idea. If my company offered some sort of incentive I would score, my BMI is 22 (Which is about the lowest it has ever been).

Anyway, I thought you might find this interesting

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nicolebrodeur/2010986841_nicole05m.html

1 comment:

  1. BMI based discounts are an interesting topic. They (researchers) have found that BMI is a good indicator for obesity. You always have your outliers (e.g. body builders), because BMI doesn't distinguish between the different types of soft tissue (muscle vs. adipose [fat]).

    Im sure many angry letters will be sent. Should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete